The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc., usually known as The Hartford, is a United States-based investment and insurance company.
As a company in business for more than 200 years, The Hartford understands what it means to be sustainable. They have helped people and businesses prepare for the unexpected, protect what is uniquely important to them, and prevail through life’s challenges and opportunities. The Hartford does this by delivering industry leading property and casualty insurance, group benefits and mutual funds to our customers, creating a diverse and inclusive culture for their employees, financial performance for their shareholders, and by engaging with and serving the communities in which they work and live.
In order to identify areas that could represent opportunities or risks for The Hartford business now or in the future, CSE analyze issues in terms of their relevance for society and for the organization. We went through the following process:
- Reviewed best practice approaches to materiality and the approaches of The Hartford peers
- Consulted a cross-section of stakeholders from across their business to define a list of material issues and prioritize these into high, medium and low importance
- Created materiality matrix
- Identify Material Issues that included the Sustainability Report of the organization
- Review Strategy and provided areas for improvement